Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Belated Two Things Tuesday

My evening was very busy yesterday, so I did not get around to posting this on the right day. But, seriously, who cares when I post these things anyhow?



Two Things:

1. I hate UTEP - I cannot overstate this. While, yes, I had a handful of fantastic professors during my time in college, the whole experience is severely soured by my dealings with the administration.

Without delving much into past events, let's just jump to today, rather, last night, when I received an email stating that there had been a grade change initiated by one of my instructors, changing it to a score which implies I never finished the course.

Ahem, I GRADUATED 3 YEARS AGO! I wasn't even aware they could change grades after a degree had been awarded, especially so long ago. Without a grade in the course, I would be lacking enough credits for my degree, possibly rendering my degree invalid. You can imagine my fury last night after reading the email. I was literally shaking. I thought I was done with UTEP.

It became my mission today to short things out. It's a good thing I don't live in the same city anymore. Instead I started calling this morning, trying to get ahold of anyone who knew anything or could do anything. That became a chore in of itself. It took me 9 phone calls to the operator and transfers to the Registration and Records office before I bypassed the operator and just called directly repeatedly. Each time, no answer, transfer to voicemail, voicemail was full. The operators had tried transferring me to two real people instead of the main number. The same thing happened, no answer, transfer to voicemail, voicemail full. After 6 more phone calls to the Records office, I finally got someone. She was kind enough to giggle at the situation and remark that I shouldn't have graduated. I reiterated how important it was to get things sorted today and she promised someone would call me back. I was less than hopeful. After some extra help from a few fantastic people, I did receive a call back. Everything would be sorted out ASAP. Apparently, no one signed some sort of paperwork and the system caught it in an audit. Whatever. It's done.


2. Getting Organized - I bought Dan a shelving unit for his pint glasses. They used to be stacked in groups of 2 or 3 on top of the game cabinet. Nightmares of a cat jumping up on top of the game cabinet out of curiosity drove me to my purchase. It looks much better and makes me feel better, too.













No comments:

Post a Comment