Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Two Things Tuesday - Middle School Fashion Edition

While the school at which I teach has a dress code, the students nevertheless find ways in which to personalize their look. Today, my 2tT focuses on a couple of fashion choices the kids make.

  1. Bows - This one surprised me last year. I did not expect the girls to wear bows in middle school. I grew out of them well before 4th grade, opting for headbands for the rest of my life. The girls at my school absolutely love bows. The bows are big, floppy numbers. It's adorable on the kids. It makes them seem more like the kids they are than the teenagers they're turning into.
  2. Sagging pants - I know. This has been around forever and shouldn't have surprised me. For some reason, I had expected this trend to die out at some point in the last 10 years. No dice. However, to add to the ridiculousness, there are boys who are sagging skinny jeans. Try to get a visual on that. They all look like penguins or little kids with poopy diapers. It's hilarious. I assume they continue to sag because they have no idea how they look. One would hope they wouldn't continue sagging if they actually knew how they looked.

2 comments:

  1. One would NOT sag if they knew how stupid they looked.... maybe their dad's (if they have any sense in them )should sag as well in public.... let their classic tighty whities show all when they are with their lovely children. I would have just died had my mom or dad shown their underware in public when I was in middle school! "I'll stop saggin in public when YOU do!" I had 3 in one class yesterday.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to tell them about how the sagging trend started in prison. It let you fellow inmates know what "side your bread was buttered on" if you catch my drift. The bows.... that was a HUGE trend even into high school until about 2 years ago. Our kids just don't follow the trends that you see on white kids. I'm not entirely sure where they get their fashion ideas...

    ReplyDelete